Teaching: Becoming an Urban School Teacher
Syracuse University School of Education
Format: On Campus (at Syracuse University)
Eligibility: Students must be of rising high school sophomore, junior, or senior status – or a 2022 high school graduate.
Course Objectives: Link to Website
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Name at least 3 unique challenges and affordances of teaching in public urban schools
- Describe at least 3 research findings related to student learning in urban schools
- Describe the pathway for teaching certification in their home state, including implications for high school academic achievement of prospective teachers
- Identify the basic tenets of constructivism and how it relates to teaching writing and mathematics
- Name and enact at least 1 15-minute minilesson for teaching students about mindfulness, at least 1 15-minute minilesson for teaching students about writing, and at least 1 15-minute minilesson for teaching student about mathematics.
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!